QLD Retaining my parental rights

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SimonB1

11 April 2020
Thanks in advance!
My story:
- married with a 5 year old.
- ongoing DV mainly using child, emotional and psych Abuse. Also, physical (can I say nothing major though?). i haven’t reported anything as afraid to start something that gets out of control and it works against me as I am male. Basically, I feel I could meet 7 of the 8 Duluth model categories (excl male privledge).
- I would argue I’m primary carer. I have a great relationship with my child, we are best buddies.
- when wife and I worked (past 12 months) I did everything (and I mean everything) starting from afternoon pickups to tending throughout the night and most times before work excluding breakfast as too early. Weekends it was me 24/7. All domestic duties me. Financially joint.
- when wife didn’t work (prior to the 12 months above I did the majority of everything. The only difference to the above point is I didn’t do afternoon pick ups. child was in daycare. Financially all me.
- I recently moved interstate for work (new job). Wife said She will come but now that I’ve gone has changed her mind and has our child.

my question is, do I have any chance of getting my child back If I start legal proceedings and realistically, what is the likely outcome Of any litigation?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Move back to your home state asap.
Has wife told you the relationship is over?
Chance of getting the child in your primary care in your current location? Mate I dont have any good advice on that one. Sorry but it isn't gonna happen.

Cameron1977

14 January 2019
Yep move back ASAP.
If you have a diary of the care arrangements that will help somewhat, very little but still work having. If not just document it the best you can. and start to document everything moving forward like things said done and money spent.
Unless she can't look after him due to work arrangement of her own getting him to move from his current and no doubt home for x years will be hard as it is his home unless there is drugs etc. involved by her or she can't care for him. but you will need to prove that.