QLD Restraint of Trade in New Contract?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Luwis

8 June 2016
I have been working as a Sub Authorised Representative on a contract basis as a Financial advisor and have just resigned from the company and the licensee, however, my previous business associate who I was licensed with is now trying to place a restriction of trade on me and trying to get me to sign a contract/ restraint of trade after I have resigned.

Is this possible?

Thanks

S

Sophea

No! If you haven't already signed a restraint of trade, you are not bound by it. Don't sign anything!

Reactions: Luwis

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You can always ask what is it worth for me to sign ;)

Reactions: Luwis

Luwis

8 June 2016
I now have the Financial Services Licensee not giving me copies of my Sub Authorised agreement, which has been requested.

Can they do this legally? is there any legal Fighting words i an email them to get this document?

Thanks all

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Did you originally get a copy at or around the time of signing?

Luwis

8 June 2016
Hi, no, I did not receive it. My on boarding was quite a painful process.

Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Write to them and say they never gave you a signed copy back and that you need one for your records so you can avoid any actions that might be against the terms of the contract. Without them handing you a copy you cannot and will be responsible for any inadvertent actions that might be against the terms.