Reporting child negligence

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

User35

30 August 2015
I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask the question. I know for different professions , it's an obligation to report if they fear any abuse of children. Is there any legal liability for general citizens ? I was in a relationship with a woman recently who claimed she was separated from her partner, although they live in the same house because of kids. During that period I heard that both of them have been reported to Department of Child Support by the doctor / school as the father hit her teenage daughter. DOCS put them on some program. Later on she told me this is a regular incident and they beat their children with waist belt , on the bum, saying it's a cultural thing from where they came. Her daughter was sexually assaulted when she was 14 by her friend, but she chose not to report it to cops. Add to that she used to bring her 3 year old kid to our date, to hide the fact from her daughter and mom, that she is dating someone again. I understand she had a few more relationships recently. I made it clear to her, it's not a good idea to bring your child to a meeting with a guy you know for 2 weeks and leave him alone with the guy, he could be a molester or whatever . Overall seems to be a very messed up situation for the kids and I had to get out of it. It's hurting my conscience, should I inform the authorities of what I know. What could be the repercussions if DOCS is informed ?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Go see your doctor.... Tell Dr your concerns and leave it with them... Doctor will decide whether or not they need to report based on their professional judgement