NSW Rent/hire device and games, licence/permit

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Daniel Clain

3 September 2020
I want to buy virtual reality headsets and rent them out to people for a cost. I also want to buy virtual reality games on steam and use the family share feature to give others access to my virtual reality games.

For each of these ideas i dont know if it is legal. I also dont know if you need some kind of licence or permit. I'm looking for information that will prove to me what i can and cant do

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
VR headsets should be no problem. Be aware you will lose some of your consumer rights if buying them for a business purpose.

The software is your problem. Read the licence and terms of agreement (you know, the long winded wording everyone tends to skip when installing). This usually covers some sort of wording prohibiting exactly what you’re planning to do. The way around it is to approach the software publisher and negotiate a commercial incense directly.

Daniel Clain

3 September 2020
VR headsets should be no problem. Be aware you will lose some of your consumer rights if buying them for a business purpose.

The software is your problem. Read the licence and terms of agreement (you know, the long winded wording everyone tends to skip when installing). This usually covers some sort of wording prohibiting exactly what you’re planning to do. The way around it is to approach the software publisher and negotiate a commercial incense directly.
Thankyou Rob, I appreciate your response.
If there's nowhere in there terms that invalidates my idea, does that simply mean its ok for me to do it?

Daniel Clain

3 September 2020

There is a feature called family share. If i share my games with people but dont charge them, does that technically mean im not using that feature for commercial use?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I suggest clause 2A of the Steam Subscriber Agreement is a good place to start your research. Family share won’t overcome that.