NSW Removing Car from Property While Grandmother in Nursing Home?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

thegoodson

31 July 2015
I have had one of my cars mothballed in my grandmother's garage for about 15 years. My grandmother is now in a nursing home and my sister and her husband are now squatting in the house. They are insistent that I remove the car. Can they make me move it or can they remove it without my permission under property law? Or who can make me move it?

S

Sophea

It sounds as though what your grandmother has granted you is 'license' to use her garage to store your vehicle. In circumstances where this arrangement was made with your grandmother and she has not cancelled that grant of licence for your to use the garage and the property has not legally changed hands, then I would say no your sister cannot make you move the car, but your grandmother can. When the property changes hands upon her passing, then you will need to move it, unless the new owner grants you a similar license. If your sister moves your car it would likely constitute trespass to property.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Squatting in the house?

thegoodson

31 July 2015
yes they are squatting, they have no rental agreement and are not paying rent , the garage/shed is a separate structure from the house on the same property

bluetongue

8 March 2015
Does your sister or her husband have a power of attorney for your grandmother? If yes, this document may detail what can be done by the attorney with regard to your grandmother's property.

thegoodson

31 July 2015
no my father has power of attorney for my grandmother, im guessing he could order me to move the car , but i don't think he wants to buy into this little squabble