TAS Removing Beneficiary from Deceased Estate?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Karen Wiki

26 March 2018
Hi. Is there a way that I can have my bankrupt sister removed as a beneficiary from my mother's deceased estate?

My mother propped her up financially while she was alive, and I don't see why she should be paying off her bankruptcy in death too.

Please help as I am desperate.

Phanelope

11 February 2018
I had a friend who went bankrupt. Her parents changed their will so that the money went to their grandkids (my friend's kids) instead, and they will change it back if/when they are no longer bankrupt. But of course that needs to be done while they are still alive. Now I don't think there is much you can do. But maybe having the debts paid off will give your sister a fresh start?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You do need to realise that your mother's will was your mother's wishes - not yours.

Reactions: Tim W

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Not a whole lot you can do here.

Typically, inheritance received by a bankrupt can be taken up by the Trustee In Bankruptcy
and used to help settle the debts.

Attempts to conceal assets inherited by a bankrupt (sometimes called "after-acquired assets"),
can be unlawful for the executor, and the bankrupt both.