TAS Removing Beneficiary from Deceased Estate?

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by Karen Wiki, 26 March 2018.

1. Karen Wiki

Karen Wiki Member

Hi. Is there a way that I can have my bankrupt sister removed as a beneficiary from my mother's deceased estate?

My mother propped her up financially while she was alive, and I don't see why she should be paying off her bankruptcy in death too.

Please help as I am desperate.

2. Phanelope

Phanelope Well-Known Member

I had a friend who went bankrupt. Her parents changed their will so that the money went to their grandkids (my friend's kids) instead, and they will change it back if/when they are no longer bankrupt. But of course that needs to be done while they are still alive. Now I don't think there is much you can do. But maybe having the debts paid off will give your sister a fresh start?

3. Rob Legat - SBPL

LawTap Verified

You do need to realise that your mother's will was your mother's wishes - not yours.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Tim W likes this.
  4. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

Not a whole lot you can do here.

Typically, inheritance received by a bankrupt can be taken up by the Trustee In Bankruptcy
    and used to help settle the debts.

Attempts to conceal assets inherited by a bankrupt (sometimes called "after-acquired assets"),
    can be unlawful for the executor, and the bankrupt both.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...