NSW Relocating Overseas for Work with Child with Autism?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

LBrooke

29 July 2018
I have a 7-year-old son with autism and global delay. His father hasn't seen him since he was 1. I am wanting to take up a teaching contract overseas. The contract includes free education at an international school for my son. I contacted his father who promptly said no, much to my shock.

Is there anything I can do?

Shanahan Law

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
30 April 2018
Sunshine Coast
www.shanahanlaw.com.au
In the absence of any court orders prohibiting you from taking your son overseas, there is technically nothing preventing you from doing so. However, what usually happens is that the other parent applies to the court for an order compelling the newly relocated parent and child(ren) to move back.

The parent who makes such an application to the court is usually successful when it is made straight after the move. The longer the parent takes to make the court application, the more settled and established the child(ren) become in their new place of residence (e.g. enrolling in school and making new friends) and the less likely it is that the court will order the relocating parent to move back.

Reactions: LBrooke

sammy01

27 September 2015
I agree... But if you don't have a passport for the child, the only way to get one is with dad's signature on the passport application and he does not sound like that is on top of this things to do list...

Reactions: Shanahan Law

LBrooke

29 July 2018
I already have a passport, I just thought it was the legal and moral thing to do. I shouldn't have contacted him at all.

I have an appointment with a lawyer on Wednesday, hopefully something can be done.