VIC Registering a Similar Business Name?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

zadlay

13 March 2017
Hey guys, cheers for giving this a quick read!

I'm looking to start an online clothing store and was keen on using a particular business name, however it's already been taken. Is there anyway I can obtain the use of that name?

I read somewhere that if other businesses with a same/similar name as yours are not operating in the same industry as you are then the name is available. Is this true or do I have to use another name?

Thanks

Kim Walters

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
18 July 2016
Australia
lawtap.com
As long as it is not for the same or related products or services. It can be a grey area where the goods or services are not exactly the same but there are still industry or trade channel overlaps. The test is whether a customer will be confused as to the identity of the seller because you are both using the same name for goods or related goods in the same or associated fields.

A trade mark search will help you assess your risk before investing time and money in a brand name that may not be available to you because another person owns it, either under the common law or as a registered trade mark.

Maya Sapir

16 May 2017
What about if my registered business name is used by another company for their product but same name is spelled differently (and the product is almost identical to the product I produce)?

25 May 2017
What about if my registered business name is used by another company for their product but same name is spelled differently (and the product is almost identical to the product I produce)?

If you believe that the mark will cause confusion to general public then it is infringement and should take legal action against it.

Kim Walters

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
18 July 2016
Australia
lawtap.com
As to your business name, a business name is used to identify a business ('ABN'), not a product or service.

Only a registered trade mark can: (1) give you ownership of a name or sign (i.e. trade mark) and, (2) give you legal protection of your name/sign so that you can stop others from trading with or using it.

TheRealPM

2 December 2020
I have a similar but different question :)

You know how there is a dance music outfit called "Ministry of Sound" - its intentionally a pun on an official sounding but fictional Government Department
Can I Adopt for my Business Name the name of an old overseas Gov. Department name?
Lets say for example there was in the UK government dept called "Health & Wellness Agency" and couple years ago it has since rebranded to something else.

Could I call my Aus Business that old name?
Lets sat that the name is well recognized globally like say 'NHS' is today but like I said, is no longer used.

Intention is to create familiarity with my service business - which is obviously an Aussie ABN/Co, small outfit not a government dept from the other side of the world few years ago.

Business Name done, could my logo be similar to the old government logo

PS I did a name search at IP Australia | Trade Mark Search and got no result

Last edited: