Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Registering a Similar Business Name?

Discussion in 'Intellectual Property Law Forum' started by zadlay, 13 March 2017.

1. zadlay

zadlay Member

Hey guys, cheers for giving this a quick read!

I'm looking to start an online clothing store and was keen on using a particular business name, however it's already been taken. Is there anyway I can obtain the use of that name?

I read somewhere that if other businesses with a same/similar name as yours are not operating in the same industry as you are then the name is available. Is this true or do I have to use another name?

Thanks

2. Kim Walters

Kim Walters Well-Known Member
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

As long as it is not for the same or related products or services. It can be a grey area where the goods or services are not exactly the same but there are still industry or trade channel overlaps. The test is whether a customer will be confused as to the identity of the seller because you are both using the same name for goods or related goods in the same or associated fields.

A trade mark search will help you assess your risk before investing time and money in a brand name that may not be available to you because another person owns it, either under the common law or as a registered trade mark.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. zadlay

zadlay Member

Ah makes sense, thanks Kim!

Kim Walters likes this.
  4. Maya Sapir

Maya Sapir Member

What about if my registered business name is used by another company for their product but same name is spelled differently (and the product is almost identical to the product I produce)?

5. RAZA-ASSOCIATES

If you believe that the mark will cause confusion to general public then it is infringement and should take legal action against it.

6. Kim Walters

Kim Walters Well-Known Member
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

As to your business name, a business name is used to identify a business ('ABN'), not a product or service.

Only a registered trade mark can: (1) give you ownership of a name or sign (i.e. trade mark) and, (2) give you legal protection of your name/sign so that you can stop others from trading with or using it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...