WA Refund of bond and resign lease

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Helen001

30 March 2017
Hi Guys,
Ex partner and I got a house together and we both signed lease and bond was paid. After 12 months when the lease expired, ex partner told owners that only he was going on the new lease.
I wasn't asked by owners if i wanted to resign lease, they just took his word that only he was going on it and that I was moving out, which wasn't the case.
Two months after he signed new lease he started becoming abusive and threatening serious physical harm to me if I didn't get out as I wasn't on the lease. I had no choice but to leave.

Now, am i entitled to any of the bond, as there has been nothing offered from the owners. Also was the owners and ex partner with in their rights with the way the new lease was signed just by him, and then him kicking me out?

Thank you

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au

Helen001

30 March 2017
Hi Rod,
Thanks for your reply. There's never been any offer or mention of any of the bond being returned. And now knowing what the ex and owners are like, if he says thats his bond, they won't pay it.

So there was no legal obligation to ask me if I did or didn't want to resign the lease? I wasn't asked and wasnt given the option, else I would have resigned.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Contact Welcome to Tenancy WA | Tenancy WA in the first instance about your bond. Suspect the landlord should have refunded the bond on the old lease, then called in a bond for the new lease.