WA Redundancy with Extended Notice Periods?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Robbie9

20 July 2018
Hi,

I have been notified that my position will be made redundant in early 2019 (8-9 months notice). I am currently in HR completing transactional tasks and will be asked to transfer to working on projects to implement systems that will in essence complete those transactional tasks. In effect, I don't have an interest in projects generally but have been told that if I leave or do not accept these new tasks then I am no longer entitled to a redundancy payment.

I have tried to do some research but it all seems to focus on employers trying to not pay minimum notice entitlements instead of companies trying to create situations where people are effectively encouraged to leave forfeiting their redundancy.

Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
No simple answer. A lawyer will need to read your employment contract and compare that to current duties and proposed duties.

I'm not confident redundancy can be brought forward as you seem to be hinting at, and not sure that a constructive dismissal is better than a delayed redundancy.

You need to sit down with a lawyer and do the sums.