VIC Redundancy - Still Entitled to Retainment Bonus?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Minnow

21 November 2014
Hi,

I was given a retainment bonus as I had been with the Company for 17 years and they were moving 50km from my home. It was $7500 to be paid in $2500 instalments in Dec & June. I had received 3 of the instalments and this year, and in March they made everyone in my section redundant.

The last working day was April. They didn't pay my last installment because they said I was no longer working with the company. My argument was that I didn't leave by choice! I was made redundant. Now they are saying that they are waiting to hear from HR in the U.S.

Do I have a chance after this redundancy?

Thank you

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

I guess it would depend on the terms of the retainment bonus. If it was awarded on a set date you should still be entitled to it but then I would need to ask why it was paid in instalments this usually implies that it is paid after milestone completion. You should have received some sort of documentation with it. Your other option is to get a former colleague to get a copy of the HR manual.

Minnow

21 November 2014
Thanks Lance,

I signed a contract, an agreement that I wouldn't leave, that is why they paid by instalments. As long as I stayed, I would be given the money.

Thank you again