NSW Red Light Fine - How to Obtain Video from Police?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Craigboofer

15 September 2016
Hello,

Need some help really.

Got fined this morning for allegedly going through a red light - t had just started flashing yellow when I went through - by a police car that was behind me. I was driving a bus and didn't have the stopping room. If I had stopped, I would have been half way into the intersection, which I also know is an offence, so I carried on through as I deemed it the safer option.

The police officer said he had it on video from his car. How can I obtain this video under Traffic Law and how long do they keep the footage for?

Many thanks

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
When you plead not guilty you go to court for 1 or 2 mention hearings, then later the contest hearing (trial).

1. Ask him for a copy; or if he refuses

2. Elect to take the matter to court. When you first go to court ask the court officials at the courthouse prior to your hearing what procedure you need to follow. The first mention hearing is not your trial unless you plead guilty so don't panic about not having all the evidence at the first hearing, you will have time later.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yes, but don't like your chances. They do not have to show you. No harm trying though.

Gorodetsky

21 February 2016
Hi Craigboofer,

I agree with Rod, you can ask, but I reckon they'll refuse until after a few court appearances.

The police are meant to preserve evidence, but you may find at this point that the police do not supply the video to you, just a couple of statements from the coppers involved, which both state you ran the red light, and make no mention of the video.

So I'd suggest you phone and ask for the video, and follow up in writing. But I'd be pretty surprised if you ever see the video.

Regards