VIC Red light fine dispute. Car accident.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Pippa3

25 February 2020
Hello,

In late December I was involved in a nasty car accident. The driver hit my passenger side and smashed my car to peices. I had checked the light before going through and it was definitely green. However while I was trapped in the car, the other driver and her friend began pulling cars over and telling people I was at fault.

The police showed up 20 minutes later while I was in the ambulance, the other lady and her friend whisked them away to talk. A while later the police officer came in, took my personal details and told me she'd be fining me due to what the other driver and her friend said. I tried to explain what had happened on my end but she looked at her watch and said she'd "see if there were any other witnesses" then the fine arrived 2 days later.

I asked for a police report and was told I wasnt injured enough (only fractured ribs and bruising) so she wasn't going to write one.

I requested a review of the fine and was rejected. Other than the 2 witnesses (one who hit me) there is no other evidence and I also have nothing to lean on. The police officer made it clear she wanted me to be quiet and pay.

Sorry for the long story. My question is now that the internal review has been rejected, is it even worth going to court for? I generally want to know if it will just make things worse. I have the money and can easily end it now. But I feel sick accepting blame for something I didn't do.

Is it going to be less trouble to just accept, pay and be quiet? I don't want to put myself through more stress if I don't stand a chance.

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
You have 2 choices. Either pay the fine or contest it by electing to go to court.
This may be the best option if you are adament that you did nothing wrong.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
You have 2 choices. Either pay the fine or contest it by electing to go to court.
This may be the best option if you are adament that you did nothing wrong.
Further to Tony's comment, if you want to go to court, you need strong evidence with you, otherwise, you have two people who said the opposite of what you said, what I would do, go back to the area and see if there are any cameras (security) and ask for the video, if there is no camera on the traffic lights, if you don't have strong evidence, there is a chance to get off but that will be a lengthy court time and costs.
I am not a lawyer, but this is from understanding. My advice is never go to court if the person does not have strong evidence to support their side (This is in general and not relating to your case).
Good luck.