WA Recovering keys tenant jailed

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Helen001

30 March 2017
Hello,
Ok so my ex partner of three years has gone to jail. His partner of two months has keys to the property but wont give them to me.
Only my ex partner is on the lease. His partner was staying there. She has not packed his possessions to be stored but wont let anyone else have them and shes never at the house.
Ex partner wants me to get keys but how and she wont just give them to me.
Because shes not on lease and only been there two months I dont agree with her having any right to touch anything or remove it from property.
Is this correct and how do we get keys?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I dont agree with her having any right to touch anything

Saying you don't agree does not give you legal rights.

Your ex is the one who needs to give you authority, preferably in writing, and revoke the other person's right to stay there. The other person would then be given 'x' days to move, typically one month.

In the meantime with your letter of authority you go to the agent and ask for another set or for them to open the property and you pack up the belongings.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I would suggest change the locks in any case. You don't know whether copies have been made.