NSW Recently hired. What do I do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dante12

16 April 2018
I was recently hired by a financial services company (about a month ago) as a compliance analyst in a newly created position where I am on a 3 months probation.
A few weeks into the role I have realised that I am not getting any proper work. All i am given is menial tasks and bread crumbs for the week which hardly takes some time and there is nothing left to do. Thinking that its just a start and work would come eventually, I stayed patient. I mostly spend my time on going through related work material trying to do as much self learning as possible. Recently i went into a weekly catchup with my manager and knowing that I dont have anything, she asks me what I am doing. I told her nothing much and that I was going through her work and it looks quite interesting. To which she responds by saying very arrogantly, 'Why?.' I told her because I dont have much to do and I wanted to keep myself busy. Later in the meeting she told me that she is handling compliance monitoring for a department (that was promised to me since a few weeks and which I was originally hired to do). The reason I was told is that this work is too technical (which is absurd as they ought to train me and get me do the job and that there is no urgency to complete it either). I became quite confused and asked her if she is handling this, when would the monitoring work come through for another department to which she said, next year around February. I asked her what does this mean for me and the business? Am i even needed for the job? She said, nothing would happen as I am already onboarded. She then assigned a number of little tasks again and told me to try not to bother her much as she is busy. I also later found out that I was also pulled out and not made part of the meetings regarding a compliance system change they are working on which i attended and worked on earlier.
I dont know what this all means. Are they planning to kick me out? If yes, why wait? I dont want to press them from answers as I dont want to loose this job and was really excited when I joined the role because it was a career step up and better pay. As of now, I am just playing along, not arguing with anything and doing what I am told. Someone please guide me on what to do and how to handle this.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
I don't see how any of this is related to any legal issue. I think you're over thinking the situation because I don't see anything that suggests they're planning to fire you either. Just sit tight and do what you're asked to do without making any waves. The work will come your way eventually.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Ask what you can do to help.