NSW Received Certificate 601 from Family Dispute Resolution - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

S-c-o-t-t

22 February 2016
Good morning, I currently received a certificate 601 by family dispute resolution.Should I go direct to the family court or I need a lawyer?

I need more information and help.

T
hank you so much.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
You can do either, but as always, it's a good idea to get legal advice from a lawyer before acting, even if you intend on self-representing.

You can file an initiating application with either the Federal Circuit Court or the Family Court of Australia, but the Family Court will ordinarily only deal with applications that are complex or require special attention (such as Magellan Listed cases), so it's best to file in the Federal Circuit Court first and let the judge transfer it if s/he sees fit.

Is this for a parenting matter or property?

S-c-o-t-t

22 February 2016
Thanks a lot. It's a parenting matter, as my wife allows me to see my daughter for one to two hours as max.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
For a parenting matter, file an initiating application for parenting orders with the Federal Circuit Court. You will need to include an affidavit that supports the orders you are seeking in your application by referring to the child's best interests, as the Family Law Act 1975 holds that when making parenting orders, the child's best interests is paramount.

The court refers to section 60CC of the Family Law Act 1975 to help it decide what's in the child's best interests - you can (and should) read it here: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/fla1975114/s60cc.html

Also note section 60B of the Act, which provides what rights children have in regards to their parents - http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/fla1975114/s60b.html

I suggest speaking to a lawyer before you file the application. They will be able to provide more guidance on prospective outcomes and what you need to do for filing.