NSW 482 Visa - Question About Relocation Package?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kate Pattison

24 January 2019
Hi

I came to AU with a company help (visa 482). The company provided the relocation package for me and my family (it is mentioned in the contract). I don't like to work for this company and would like to live AU in the near future and I would like not to give the relocation package back. Could you help me what to do? What will be in this case? Can I live the country without paying it?

It is said like that:

As a condition of receiving this assistance, the Employee agrees that they cease to be employed for any reason other than redundancy within the period specified in the Schedule they will be required to repay any funds paid by the Company on their behalf or reimbursed to them within 30 days of ceasing employment with the Company. In the event that the Employee refuses to repay the amount owed for relocation expenses paid to the Employee or on their behalf, the Company will be entitled to recover from me those expenses and in addition, legal fees and costs associated with the collection of said expenses.

Thanks in advance for your help

Ann Zhou

Lawyer & Registered Migration Agent
27 January 2017
Sydney
lawtap.com
It looks like the relocation payment is part of the deal of employment, unless you are redundant, you might need to payback. But again you need to engage a legal profession to view your employment contract and circumstances in order to give you the certainty.

What concerns me more is your 482 visa. You must have realised that as soon as leave your Australian employment, your 482 visa will be cancelled. I am sure you have your plan on how to come back to Australia.

Ann Zhou, Lawyer & Registered Migration Agent, Elliot Lawyers - Sydney, NSW - LawTap - Find a Lawyer & Book Online Instantly.