VIC Question about Family Report

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

KKaren

22 March 2019
I had a family report writer appointment recently. Before attending, correspondence from both the family report writer and my lawyers was definitive that my daughter would need to spend time with her father at this appointment. My daughter has not seen her father for a couple of years and IVOs are involved.

On the day the family report writer explained to my daughter she wouldn’t need to see her father if she didn’t want to. (she is a young teenager).

During our appointment he told me what his recommendations would be. He then told me that he would tell my daughter. He then spent time with her and told her his recommendations.

My lawyers were extremely shocked that he had made decisions before talking to the other party, (there was hundreds of pages of affidavits and medical reports which he had clearly read giving a very detailed history backed up by admissions in court and affidavit from the father), and recommended I make detailed notes on the meeting in case the report didn’t reflect what the writer had communicated to myself and my daughter.

The report writer also encouraged us to leave before the other party arrived as he was extremely concerned about my and my daughter’s safety.

I understand this is extremely unusual.

Has anyone had this experience before? Did the report come out as it was communicated to you? What we were told the recommendations would be were more than we could have hoped for.

Thank you for any advice or comments.