NSW Queries on Probate Applications

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DadyO

9 July 2014
Hi

I need a copy of my father's probate application from 2008. I have a couple of questions about the application form.

Probate forms

There are 3 sections I'm unclear about.

Probate file number: I don't have this and would rather not speak to the executor of will but I will if I must.
Name of Solicitor: Is this the solicitor that made the original probate application?
Firm name: Same as above?

Thanks very much

James D. Ford - Solicitor

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
Hi DadyO

Probate File Number:
As the probate was applied for in 2008 - you can try and find the Probate file number by searching for the Probate Notice in the archives of the Sydney Morning Herald, and/or local newpapers...

"Search for a probate notice
You can search for probate notices which were published online on or after 21 January 2013. Before this date, notices were published in The Sydney Morning Herald and/or local newspapers."

Name of Solicitor/Firm Name:
On this form the Name of Solicitor, and Firm Name relate to you (the applicant's) current solicitor... not the Solicitor who applied for the Probate...

You might be completing the wrong form
If you need a copy of the approved Probate, and "an inventory of property"... it appears to me that you are completing the wrong form... and actually need to look for the following form on the Supreme Court website:

Application for Exemplification
Alternatively, you can complete an "Application for Exemplification that includes: a copy of the will, the probate grant or letters of administration (available to any applicant)"; and "an inventory of property" (available to Executors and Beneficiaries only) for $58.

This application form is available on the Court’s Website.

Here is a link:

http://www.supremecourt.justice.nsw.gov.au/Documents/Other Forms/application for exemplification.v3.doc

Kind regards

DadyO

9 July 2014
Hi James

Thanks for the help.

Yes I need to do the application for exemplification as I need to prove my father's death and will to a foreign jurisdiction.

I'm not using a solicitor for the application for exemplification as it's a pretty simple request. Perhaps I should just cross out Solicitor firm: and insert beneficiary?

Otherwise I will send an email to the probate section of the NSW Supreme Court to see if they can help.

James D. Ford - Solicitor

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
Hi DadyO

You can add (Beneficiary) next to your name, if that is the case.

If you have no lawyer.. You can state "n/a" - i.e., not applicabile.

Kind regards

Reactions: DadyO