NSW Queries on Old Speeding Fines - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

builder06

1 December 2016
Hello,

I'm a french tourist. I've visited Australia with my family 2 years ago. During our holidays, it seems we had exceed speed limit on a NSW road: 75km/h instead of 60km/h. It was 17 January 2014. Honestly, I do not remember if I was speeding. I can't argue on this point.

For many reasons, we have just received now the "penalty notice" and "penalty reminder notice", almost 2 years later.

1- Should I pay this fine? (Well, of course, we should always pay our fines, but...)
2- Will this fine have grown in the last 2 years?
3- If I don't pay, what next ? I know they can't do anything that worth the 248$ now we are back in France.
4- Is there a statute of limitations period for speeding fines?

Thanks.

Regards.

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
My understanding is that they have 12 months from the date of the alleged offence in which to charge you. If you plan on returning to Australia at a future time, it may be as well to pay it.

Having said that, if you are the holder of an International Driver's Licence and wish to travel again to other countries, it is something that may come back to haunt you.

Hardly a hanging offence, but you have to weigh up your options.

I'm curious as to why it took two years to find you.

builder06

1 December 2016
I usually respect the speed limit. A 0-10kmh, I could have done it. A 15 kmh, I doubt it, but well honestly I do not remember.

I'm curious as to why it took two years to find you.
First it seems to have been delivered with a lot of delay and secondly it has been sent to a previous address (it was my job + apartment) and the new secretary just forward me the letter.

Having said that, if you are the holder of an International Driver's Licence and wish to travel again to other countries, it is something that may come back to haunt you.
About my driver licence, it's not an international one, just my french one and my old passport. The new passport has a different number. I do not see how this could affect travels in other countries than Australia. No troubles yet to rent cars in European countries. Maybe in commonwealth ones? But I really doubt it.

My understanding is that they have 12 months from the date of the alleged offence in which to charge you.
So what I understand is that there will not be any trial for this. But the fine will remain in their computers and never be erased. It might be a problem if I want to go back in Australia.

If I pay it now or a few weeks before my next travel in Australia, there be a difference?