TAS Purchasing Car from Gumtree - Which Advertised Price to Pay?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
27 February 2017
Hi,

I need to know where I stand legally.

I am buying a second-hand car using the Gumtree site. I found an ad for a 98 Toyota Celica with an asking price of $1500. I replied to the ad a secured a test drive for 2 days later.

In that time, the seller relisted the same vehicle twice. The first time for $2400 and the second time for $2000. How much should I have to pay for the vehicle? I have copies of all three ads.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Anita,

Are all 3 ads currently active? Usually a seller will change the price and pull the incorrect ad. If they are still active after your test drive, I would say I will have a think about it and immediately respond with your offer to the cheapest ad on the Gumtree website. Or you can just tell them straight up you are replying to the $1500 ad.

If they have pulled the cheaper ads and you haven't made an offer, I'm not sure anything can be done. It might be a question for Gumtree in accordance with their terms and conditions.