Purchase of caravan in private sale

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Leanne Oxley

15 November 2019
Hi,
My husband and I paid a deposit on a caravan (private sale via caravancampingsales.com) of $2800 after viewing the van via a video call. We were assured that there was no water damage after we specifically said that we were looking for a van with no damage, and after travelling 800km to collect the van today, my husband found water damage in 4 different places internally visible. We have walked away from the sale, but don't know our rights with regards to getting the deposit back. Would be grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance.

Atticus

6 February 2019
We have walked away from the sale, but don't know our rights with regards to getting the deposit back. Would be grateful for any advice.

I assume you have asked for the deposit back & have been refused?..... In that event you would first send a letter of demand notifying the seller of your intention to pursue it via a civil court claim if it is nor refunded by the date you nominate, usually about 21 days...

Your chances of winning such a claim will be greatly increased if you have a signed & dated receipt for the deposit stating the deposit is for a caravan rego # xxxx, the sellers printed name, & that balance of payment is subject to inspection...

In any case, if you had to pursue a civil claim it would be decided on the balance of probabilities principal & you are given the opportunity to mediate a solution prior to any hearing... If successful you could claim court costs as well

Reactions: 457Visafraud

Leanne Oxley

15 November 2019
I assume you have asked for the deposit back & have been refused?..... In that event you would first send a letter of demand notifying the seller of your intention to pursue it via a civil court claim if it is nor refunded by the date you nominate, usually about 21 days...

Your chances of winning such a claim will be greatly increased if you have a signed & dated receipt for the deposit stating the deposit is for a caravan rego # xxxx, the sellers printed name, & that balance of payment is subject to inspection...

In any case, if you had to pursue a civil claim it would be decided on the balance of probabilities principal & you are given the opportunity to mediate a solution prior to any hearing... If successful you could claim court costs as well[/QUO

Thank you, Atticus.

457Visafraud

16 April 2017
Hi,
My husband and I paid a deposit on a caravan (private sale via caravancampingsales.com) of $2800 after viewing the van via a video call
When dealing with a private seller always check if there is a PayPal payment option because it's very easy to get the money back.
I guess you paid through your bank if so, apply for a charge back.