NSW What to Expect in Interview with Psychologist?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Vinnie

13 October 2015
I and my ex, including a child will have an interview with a psychologist from the court.

The psychologist will write a family report and submit to the judge for the next court. I and my ex are under the interim order. I've got 4 nights per fortnight but I want at least 8 nights per fortnight. The psychologist will interview me together with the child and her grandmother (who also live and spend much time with my child).

Anyone here has any experience with this interview and what I should say to the psychologist? What will the psychologist do with me and the child ?

I know that I should focus on the child interest but I want to see the details.

Thanks.

Dad in trouble

3 March 2017
Mine was a while ago in Sydney registry, so my vague recollection is the following:

During the course of the interview the psychologist will try to go through all the issues raised to that point in time by both parties: ask to hear your views, they will ask for your opinion on what things you see things working well and not so well, and also view the child(ren)'s interaction with both parents separately.

Depending on the age of the children, you probably need to think about and address practical and interpersonal aspects. Up to you if you bring extra family members as moral support, as there may be pros and cons, but it is likely to get noted in the family report.

Not to put too much pressure on you but I found my lawyer just really settling on what the family report recommended and not stretching too much further. I felt the other side's lawyer did the same.

Good luck!

Hoang Trang

22 July 2016
I'm keen too to hear other people's experiences as I'm about to go through the same process.