NSW Proving paternity when father is deceased

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jessica

1 November 2017
My father and I were estranged so I wasn’t told he passed. It wasn’t until I tried to make amends, that I found out he passed 3 yrs prior! This broke me and I need to get answers but I can’t because he is not on my birth certificate. The only family I may have left is my grandmother who has dementia, she does not remember me and I don’t know if she is alive. I need help, I don’t know who I can call to help me. I have autism and struggle with these things.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Goodness, I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through, but you have my sympathy.

I think your first point of call should be the Office of Births, Deaths and Marriages. They may be able to put you on the right path for having your father's name added to your birth certificate. A counselling service like Relationships Australia might also be a good contact to make.

Migz

20 November 2016
Give EASYDNA a phone call, I have found them to be very helpful and professional, I'm not going to lie to you, you will need a budget of between $300 to $1000, to possibly accomplish what you are after. Do you have any uncles and aunts related to your father? do you have any brothers or sisters?

Good luck with it.

nat 2015

8 February 2017
My father and I were estranged so I wasn’t told he passed. It wasn’t until I tried to make amends, that I found out he passed 3 yrs prior! This broke me and I need to get answers but I can’t because he is not on my birth certificate. The only family I may have left is my grandmother who has dementia, she does not remember me and I don’t know if she is alive. I need help, I don’t know who I can call to help me. I have autism and struggle with these things.
maybe ask the salvation army they may be able to help you.