QLD Property Settlement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

KMac83

25 June 2020
Hi All,
I have just received a 2nd registrar notification in relation to consent orders I have filed at the family court. The notification states;
"Clause 6.1.3 remains somewhat a problem and is difficult to follow. If it is actually necessary to provide for a method of calculation, such method must be set out plainly and precisely. Otherwise, if the sum of $19,000 is an agreed figure (notwithstanding the length of time before the activities envisaged) then that is the only figure to put in the proposed order."

6.1.3 currently reads;
"The Applicant pay The Respondent, post payment of any monies required to secure discharge of any encumbrance registered against the title to the said property, a) 40% of E$110,000 equity balance (E$44,000), minus $15,000 (in lieu of shares transfer (refer Orders 7.1), minus $10,000 (in lieu of superannuation concession (refer Orders 8.1 and 8.2) for the property at the time of settlement; E$19,000."

I am hesitant to put a hard figure down (i.e. remove 'E' as depending on how long this drags out, the bank fees to break the mortgage will change).
I am confused as to how this is difficult to follow... Any advice? Does adding subtotals in make it easier to follow the calculation?

Should I update to reflect;
"The Applicant pay The Respondent, post payment of any monies required to secure discharge of any encumbrance registered against the title to the said property,
a) 40% of E$110,000 equity balance (E$44,000),
b) minus $15,000 (in lieu of shares transfer (refer Orders 7.1) (subtotal E$29,000),
c) minus $10,000 (in lieu of superannuation concession (refer Orders 8.1 and 8.2) (subtotal E$19,000);
For the property at the time of settlement; E$19,000."

This is the only clause that the consent orders appear to be held back by :(

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I'm no family lawyer, but the way you've drafted it does cause problems. Notably the 'E'. I understand that you're hesitant to put down a hard figure and that time is a factor. However, there must be certainty in orders - hence either a 'hard figure' or a 'hard calculation'. Precise figures are obviously preferred, as those are less open to later argument. It's a lot harder to argue the meaning of an actual dollar figure than it is the method of calculation of a formula.

If you do insist on a formula, I suggest something along the lines of the following (to use your wording). Again, I'm not a family lawyer so they may suggest differently:

The Applicant pay the Respondent an Amount for the [Property - describe it] calculated as follows:
Amount = ((A - B) x 40%) - C - D
Where:
- A is the value of the Property, however that is established.
- B is the cost of payout and discharge of the nominated secured parties to the Property
- C is the value of the shares in Order 7.1
- D is value of the superannuation concession in Orders 8.1 and 8.2

KMac83

25 June 2020
Thank you Rob Legat! I hope I have paraphrased accurately;
"The Applicant pay the Respondent an Amount for the <suburb> property calculated as follows:
Amount = ((A - B) x 40%) - C – D
Where:
i) A is the value of the Property ($110,000)
ii) B is the cost of payout and discharge of the nominated secured parties to the Property
iii) C is the value of the shares in Order 7.1 = $15,000
iv) D is value of the superannuation concession in Orders 8.1 and 8.2 = $10,000
(i.e. E$19,000 = ((110,000 – B) x 40% - $15,000 – $10,000)"

Is it ok to leave 'B' unknown?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Ideally you want to state it if you can, but it is quantifiable by the third party so it may be okay. I'd imagine it should be okay.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Often orders set a specific date on which 'settlement' happens ... Do you have such a date in your orders? .... Is it not possible to then ascertain from the lender/s a final discharge amount for that date & include as the figure B above.