SA Property Settlement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sarah1987_3

7 October 2014
Hi,

Not surr how to go about all this - my ex and I separated in October 2015, and have 2 kids together which we now have 50/50 custody of.

We owned a house interstate which was sold (he did all that) and I got half the profits. However not long after we separated a bank statement got sent to me and I opened it and it was an account of his and his first deposit was $20k? This was not the house settlement money as this went in separately.

Am I entitled to go back and find out where this money came from?! He was obviously stashing money away somehow that I wasn't aware of, I would think I'm entitled to half?

How would I go about this?

sammy01

27 September 2015
were you married? how long have you been divorced?
There is a timeframe for making a claim and it may have passed.

You also want to think about whether or not this is worth the fight... How much are you talking IF it is just half of the $20k - so $10k. Don't bother, the time and expense of getting a solicitor will not make it worth you're while

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You can apply to have the court grant leave to hear your case, and it may be granted where there has been some kind of non-disclosure of a significant asset.

The issue is you don't know the origin of the $20K and possible other monies.