VIC Property settlement t

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
10 May 2018
My ex discarded me after seven years in march this year. In January she told me we were $23700 in debt. I had no idea. She had always had control of money, bills and mail. I worked long hours 6 days most weeks. I added up my last 12 invoices and it came to just under $20,000. Average of 66 hours per week on $25 an hour on abn. February 26 my daughter was born. I had a two year old son as well. On march 18 I came home from work to my clothes stuffed in garbage bags at the back door and told,

10 May 2018
I continue. Told to f off in front of my son. I had a breakdown, called mum who came around. Stayed the night. Left next day. We had a twenty acre farm, bred horses and grew hay. I left with my Ute and clothes. I would visit every couple of days to see the kids and her mum or sister would be there. I just wanted to see my kids. She just wanted me to sit down and go through the bills. She would not give me a copy and I couldn't take them with me. They were nearly all in my name. Rates $3000+ not paid for two years, water the same, my abn tax wasn't paid for over two years $7000*+, money owed every where. Where the hell did the money go. With each visit she would try and dictate what I had to pay, would start yelling with her family putting in their opinions. I would say goodbye to my kids and leave. Every visit the same. My parents told me she was trying to push my buttons so if I got angry she had a witness to set me up for an avo. I didn't listen.L

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Your emotions will likely be a mess right now and you are probably not thinking clearly.

What general part of Vic are located?

If you don't understand family law, then you should see a lawyer. If close to the eastern side of Melb I may be help. Go to www.vichelp.com.au to find my email address.

In the meantime, change all banking passwords, set up new accounts if you have to, take back control of bills and tax that affect your income. Do nothing about rates and other household bills if she is living in the property. Let her worry about those for the moment.

And yes, you may be being setup for an IVO. Even if not, act like you are.

It is going to be hard for you and it may pay to stop contact for a few weeks till you get your head around your options. If needed, call Mensline for coping advice.

I suspect your partner has had this planned for some time and just the sheer amount of bills and notices she is receiving probably meant she could not hide them anymore.

Priorities:
  • Keep working
  • Find a stable place to live for the moment
  • Keep eating well and sleeping
  • Start getting bookwork in order
Then, start planning your next steps, including reading up on family law.