VIC Property Settlement - Should I Provide 8 Years of Financial Record?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
My ex has now hired a solicitor and has responded to my proceedings in the Federal Circuit Court. I understand that we will be ordered to provide full and frank disclosure. My ex is convinced that for a period of approx 8 years (at least from what a mutual friend, that tried to mediate between us early on, has indicated to me), which also covers approx 2 months after I left the family home in June last year, that I was withdrawing 'his' money from a home loan offset account and business account and depositing it elsewhere in my name only.

My question is (I do have a solicitor but trying to save some $$$ and I'm asking here for an indication as to whether I'm going to have to take annual leave from my employment to start preparing), will I be expected to produce 8 years or even more, of financial records such as bank statements for the property settlement? Or is there only so far that is considered fair and reasonable to go back?

Our de facto relationship was approx 28 years long.

sammy01

27 September 2015
No, I think you only provide current financial situation... He can't say that you took money 8 years ago and that should be removed from the pool.

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
Thanks, Sammy. His solicitor also mentioned in his letter an amount that my ex believes I'm in possession of or have removed over the 8 year period (whether it's still in my possession or not). They are going to use this information to deny my request to access money from the mortgage offset account to pay my legal fees.

This is all delusional thinking by my ex, btw, and I have never done such a thing apart from pay household bills and my credit card which I used to buy groceries, fuel, children's costs and similar expenses from the business account. I would also transfer money to and from the offset account as was recommended to us by our broker when we set up the mortgage in an attempt to save money on our home loan.