QLD property settlement advice for separation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

zena

1 June 2015
i have arrived to australia a few months ago on a partner visa. now my husband has left me and i want to apply for divorce..can i ask if im eligible for a property settlement for the property he owns from before our marriage..his property is in NSW and i live in QLD.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Not enough information.... Need to know length of marriage/ de facto, as a starting point...

While you may be eligible to file a case, that doesn't mean you would have enough of an equitable interest in the properties to make it worth while... This would particularly be the case if your marriage was quite short

zena

1 June 2015
Not enough information.... Need to know length of marriage/ de facto, as a starting point...

While you may be eligible to file a case, that doesn't mean you would have enough of an equitable interest in the properties to make it worth while... This would particularly be the case if your marriage was quite short
we have been married for 4 years and hes owned the property for 6 years...we are in a legal marriage

Atticus

6 February 2019
Okay.. Still within the bounds of a 'short' marriage... You may have some equitable interest depending on circumstances, but you would need to get together all the facts & figures & see a family law solicitor to ascertain if you actually do & what it may be worth