Property Rights in a Compound?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

TLawyer

3 November 2015
We live in a compound owned by our great grandfather and is now given to us and our relatives. I'm just asking how far do we go with the property rights in a compound?

James D. Ford - Solicitor

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
Hi TLawyer

Can you please tell me exactly what you mean by a "compound"? When and how was the ownership of this Property passed to you and your relatives?

Kind regards

TLawyer

3 November 2015
Hi TLawyer

Can you please tell me exactly what you mean by a "compound"? When and how was the ownership of this Property passed to you and your relatives?

Kind regards

Well, it's nearly 300 sqm of land that our relatives and I live on. We're practically inside a large gate that divides our place from others. It was passed down on us 13 years ago when my grandpa died, from what I remembered it was still in his name and all we got was his words that we can live there.

Hi TLawyer

Can you please tell me the location of the "compound"? And the state/territory?

How did you grandpa come to own the Property? Did he buy it? Or was it granted to him? If so, who gave it to him?

As far as I am aware Property ownership cannot be transferred verbally...

I await your further responses, before continuing.

Kind regards

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
300 square metres is rather a small parcel of land...?

Hi @Tim W

I suspect that it could be an aboriginal "compound", and the area might be 300 square miles... but I am just guessing.. the query is very short on any facts about the Property... which I hope will be forthcoming soon, so we can get to the bottom of the matter.

Cheers

TLawyer

3 November 2015
Hi TLawyer

Can you please tell me the location of the "compound"? And the state/territory?

How did you grandpa come to own the Property? Did he buy it? Or was it granted to him? If so, who gave it to him?

Kind regards

We're in CA in Orange County. Originally, the land was bought by our great grandfather from his friend. Before he died, he transferred the title of the land to our grandfather's name. When grandpa died, my aunt who was the eldest inherited the land (I'm sorry but I don't know if it was transferred in her name. All I knew was she took care of the land). A few years after, she invited us to live in the same land since there was enough space and she didn't really know what to do. So we built a small house alongside hers. However we're inside the same gate. I don't really know what we can call it other than a compound so that's what I stuck to.

AnAlias

3 December 2015
Hi Tlawyer
I think you're referring to Orange County in the US, rather than Orange in NSW, Australia?

I believe the legal minds here are Australian and as the laws in the US may be very different to the laws here, it might be better to ask your question on a US based forum, where US legal practitioners can answer you?

Good luck!

TLawyer

3 November 2015
Hi Tlawyer
I think you're referring to Orange County in the US, rather than Orange in NSW, Australia?

I believe the legal minds here are Australian and as the laws in the US may be very different to the laws here, it might be better to ask your question on a US based forum, where US legal practitioners can answer you?

Good luck!

Oh! Thank you so much. So sorry for that.