QLD Property Law - Send Notice to Have Possessions Removed?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mitch1974

5 January 2017
Hi!

I have a house in a different town to where I live. I allowed a gentleman to live in the house. No rent was paid or no documents signed. It was a friendly agreement (I know stupid me). The gentleman moved out approx 12 months ago. I allowed him to take his time getting his possessions out originally.

April last year, I collected the house keys from him and moved all his possessions from the house to the open carport - nothing of great value was left.

In December I returned to do some renovations on the house. I noticed his possessions were still in the open carport (yes it is a great town with little crime and people trust people). There is a lockable portion of the shed which had a padlock on. I removed the padlock and found there are a number of electrical tools and valuable possessions inside belonging to the man, things I know he would want.

This person although living in a small rural community no longer answers the phone or comes near me. I know he suffers from mental illness and I don't want to rock up at his house as I'm not comfortable with that.

Under property law, can I send him a written notice to remove the items? I want to sell the house.

Thank you.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Can you take the items to his new location?

Mitch1974

5 January 2017
He lives in a one bedroom flat with carport. The stuff is like heavy drill press, air compressor, welder etc. He's likely to go off his head if I start dropping stuff in his front door step. So no I can't move a truck load of stuff to his place.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Reactions: Mitch1974