Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Property Law - Send Letter of Demand to Return Property?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by camel, 13 February 2016.

1. camel

camel Member

hi

Not sure if this is a common question.

I lent an indoor soccer top to an individual who played as part of a team I was in. I purchase all of the tops for all of the players, and they have all been returned except for this one too. I have sent numerous messages to the individual to return the top. But to no avail.

I was going to send him a letter of demand for payment for the top, but suspect that would go unanswered.

I am wondering what avenues legally under Property Law I can take to recover the item.

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Hi camel,

Your legal options are limited by the expense (time, stress and money wise) exceeding the value of the shirt itself. What is it worth $30? I would try a letter of demand and if that fails exclude them from the team and move on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. camel

camel Member

It's the principal that matters now. Does small claims cover this? Can I ask the police to attend the matter?

4. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. camel

camel Member

The top was a set of 10, and to replace it, I need to order a minimum of 10, this will cost $700.

So is this a small claims case or do I lodge a writ in the courts?

I would appreciate some direction, I am determined to take it there.