VIC Property Law - Send Letter of Demand to Return Property?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

camel

13 February 2016
hi

Not sure if this is a common question.

I lent an indoor soccer top to an individual who played as part of a team I was in. I purchase all of the tops for all of the players, and they have all been returned except for this one too. I have sent numerous messages to the individual to return the top. But to no avail.

I was going to send him a letter of demand for payment for the top, but suspect that would go unanswered.

I am wondering what avenues legally under Property Law I can take to recover the item.

S

Sophea

Hi camel,

Your legal options are limited by the expense (time, stress and money wise) exceeding the value of the shirt itself. What is it worth $30? I would try a letter of demand and if that fails exclude them from the team and move on.

camel

13 February 2016
It's the principal that matters now. Does small claims cover this? Can I ask the police to attend the matter?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
It's not a police matter.
Otherwise, I agree with @Sophea

camel

13 February 2016
The top was a set of 10, and to replace it, I need to order a minimum of 10, this will cost $700.

So is this a small claims case or do I lodge a writ in the courts?

I would appreciate some direction, I am determined to take it there.