NSW Property Law - Granting Landlords Access to Property?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Law_Tenant

5 October 2016
Greetings all,

Here with a quick question about property law obligation to grant entry to landlords to show property to prospective tenants.

As I understand it, tenants are only required to grant access to show property to a prospective tenant in the last 14 days before the existing tenancy is due to end. A "reasonable number" of entries must be granted, and on each occasion, "reasonable notice" must be given.

The language is vague and I believe any disputes are referred to tribunals, but is there any guideline (or experience of past tribunal decisions) on approximately what "reasonable" number of entries and "reasonable" notice entails?

Best regards,

Law_Tenant

5 October 2016
Just to follow up,

If I had to, I might hazard a guess at about 2 showings a week and about 7 days notice being reasonable, but just wondering if there's any actual guidelines on how we're to know what's reasonable.

Thanks,

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
7 days notice is unlikely to be reasonable when there is only a 14 day window. 24 hrs notice is reasonable, maybe 2 days.

Law_Tenant

5 October 2016
Oh, true, I'd forgotten the short length of the window, perhaps you're right.

The notice shouldn't be as much of an issue - more curious as to the reasonable number of occasions the tenant can show the property. Whether we're talking say two or three times a week, or even daily can be reasonable as long as there is a list of potential new tenants?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Daily is likely to be unreasonable to tenant. Once per week unreasonable to landlord.

Normal vacant accommodation (in Vic) typically has 2-3 set inspections times per week. My pure guestimate is 2-4 times week.