VIC Property Law - Getting Vendor to Fix Faulty Electrical Appliances?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Paul725

14 February 2016
Hi, I recently bought a property as my first home. At the time of final inspection, just before settlement, I notice the electrical appliance fitted in the kitchen is broken and not operational. I reported the same to attending real estate agent and my conveyancer, although, the conveyancer went ahead to settle the property. Now, I have tried with the real estate agent as well as with conveyancer to get the appliance fixed up by the vendor but no one is willing to do anything in this regard.

Any help under Property Law? Any way out?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Warranty claim on the manufacturer?

And I'd be pretty cross with your conveyancer!

Paul725

14 February 2016
Warranty has expired. I am curious to find out whom I should hold accountable in this case.

The conveyancer, as they did not follow my instructions appropriately in order to negotiate with the vendor on my behalf to get that appliance fixed up at the time of settlement? Real estate agent, as the vendor is claiming that it is in the same condition as it was presented to me at the time of sale (case of misleading or misrepresentation), or the vendor, as it was part of the contract to leave all electrical appliances in working condition at the time of settlement?

Thanks