VIC Property Law - Evicting a Non-Paying Person from Property?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Clare1946

17 April 2017
My ex-wife has taken up residence in my unit. She is not on the lease, pays no rent or bills, and is becoming abusive and is behaving extremely violently. How can I force her to leave under property law?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is this a marriage or defacto ex-relationship? How long ago did it end? Has a property division been done? How long was the relationship?

Clare1946

17 April 2017
Hello Rod, thank you for replying.
It was a 14-year marriage, ended in divorce about 8 years ago, property settlement all done and dusted.
We lived apart for most of those 8 years, but due to ice addiction, my ex became schizophrenic and homeless.
We have seven children, mostly grown up and gone, but two teenagers love with me.
When my ex reached the point of living in the back of her car, I invited her to come live with us until she found her feet. She has been here now for about 6 months.
Now I'm regretting asking her, but whenever I try to ask her to behave better, she flares up and becomes violent.
I'm not sure what to do.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
She is considered a guest. A guest can be ejected with no notice as a trespasser using reasonable force.

Recommend however you hand deliver a demand letter, keep a copy for yourself and date it, giving her x days to move. Advise police a week before hand of the situation and say when she is being ejected and that she may react violently. Whether or not the children are home depends on family situation. Maybe bring in two security guards for the day if police are a no show.