VIC Property Law Dispute with Neighbour to Cut Down Tree?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ZEli

10 October 2016
Hey guys,

I have an acquaintance who recently moved into a house with a large tree that has branches overhanging into her neighbour's property. She wants to cut down the tree but her neighbour is refusing to let her because he wishes to 'preserve the view'.

Does he have any right to stop her? He's currently being very aggressive about it and even though I feel like it's obviously legal to cut down your own tree, he's making her very nervous about it. As she is a recent migrant from India, she doesn't really know where to go for advice, hence my post here.

I've had a look around online but most property law disputes and clarifications about the law are because the neighbour wants to cut down the tree/branches, not forcefully keep it.

Thanks in advance, any help or links would be appreciated.

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
I would suggest she check with her local Council. There are local laws and planning that govern tree removal from private property. Anything from the size of the tree, type of tree to whether she is in a bushfire zone could be a consideration. The neighbour doesn't have a say in it.

ZEli

10 October 2016
I would suggest she check with her local Council. There are local laws and planning that govern tree removal from private property. Anything from the size of the tree, type of tree to whether she is in a bushfire zone could be a consideration. The neighbour doesn't have a say in it.

Thank you for your time Samantha, I'll ask her to check with her Council.