Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

WA Property Law - Breach of Agreement to Sell Family Property to Me?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Julie Watson, 22 March 2016.

  1. Julie Watson

    Julie Watson Member

    22 March 2016
    Likes Received:
    My parents and my sibling signed a letter saying they agreed I could have the first option on buying our family property should they want to sell it. They now want to sell it, but offered it to someone else.

    What legal weight does the letter hold and how can I contest the sale under Property Law?

    Can I have the property sale to the other party stopped?
  2. Tim W

    Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

    28 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    Much depends on the formality of the letter
    (was it in fact an "option", or just a statement of general intent?).

    Much also depends on the context - for example this issue has arisen
    in the context of a will/ estate, then it's different to, say,
    selling the parental/ family home, or to selling an item in a portfolio of investment properties.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page