LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

QLD Property Law - Am I Responsible for Someone's Unclaimed Goods?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Nikolai Martinovic, 8 August 2016.

Tags:
  1. Nikolai Martinovic

Hi

I'm not sure what area of law covers my situation because the goods in question are not from ex-tenants nor customers.

Here is my situation:

I recently purchased a house. A separate purchase was made by someone else for goods within the shed. Since I've become the owner they haven't made any attempts to remove these goods - amounting to around $10000 in value.

Recently the skylights in the shed roof were damaged, letting in rain. I am concerned this person's goods could be subsequently damaged. Am I responsible for custody of the goods up until they've been moved out under property law?

Thanks

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Who sold the goods - you or previous owner?

Has the property settled and have you moved in?

3. Nikolai Martinovic

Thanks for replying, Rod.

The previous owner sold them. The property settled a few months ago and I moved in recently.

4. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

What did you agree to when moving in wrt to these goods? If you agreed they could stay, albeit temporarily, you have assumed a duty of care you probably should not have.

5. Nikolai Martinovic

I never agreed for them to stay in my shed. The owners of the goods have evaded all my attempts to have the goods removed.

I assume they want me to move it all to there place.

I refused payment for storage of them, ffor instance. Also I emailed them some months ago stating I have never agreed for the goods to be kept there.

Have I assumed duty of care for not actinf on this immediately after settlement?

6. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

I suspect so. As the goods are worth a reasonable amount of money best do things the 'legal way' so you don't get hit with lawsuit saying you lost/damaged/threw away my property worth $50K. Have a read of this.