WA Property Investment - Is Signed Agreement with Ex a Legal Document?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Aidan

22 October 2015
Hi all,

Without going into the backstory, I am wondering if I write out a statement saying that I will give my ex a certain amount of money each month and sign it and get her to countersign it, is that a legal doc?

I am hoping it isn't. I am not trying to be deceiving but my ex is holding me to ransom about signing the sale agreement on our property investment. She has made all these demands and wants me to sign a statement to that effect.

I really need the sale of the house to go through and she knows it and is using it as leverage.

If I give her the signed statement is it legally binding - can she hold me to it in the future?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Nope - any property / asset division requires both parties to have independent legal advice and the courts have to stamp the document. Theoretically, she could use the document to show intent. But I wouldn't worry to much about that especially if it is unreasonable what she is expecting of you.

So just for fun, how much per month and for how long?

If I were you ,I'd sign it and as soon as you get the proceeds from the sale stop paying...but If you have kids, I can see this getting messy

Aidan

22 October 2015
I want to be fair and hold no animosity towards my ex, but she is demanding that I maintain her lifestyle which I can no longer afford.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yep, fair enough, but do you have kids. Why? Well, if you want to see your kids again, I'd give different advice than if you don't have kids.

Now come on just for fun... How much is she hitting you up for? My ex wanted me to pay $600 a fortnight child support plus pay the mortgage on the house she was living in at $1000 a fortnight. Now given I take home $2000, a fortnight you can see the problem.

Be fair - you owe her nothing other than a fair divison of assets... No one makes money from divorce other than the solicitors.