NSW Property Fence demarcation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

nidhul

12 August 2018
Hi All ,

I have a question about the property fence. Currently , we have a fence on 3 sides but a part of the fence area is having neighbours wall as fence.image as below
unnamed — Postimage.org

My question: is it legal to construct till the property fence ? Also , noticed that they have two windows that open on our part of the fence and feels like invasion of privacy as they can overlook at our side of property. Can we put up privacy screen close to the actual fence on our side

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You can check the council regulations to see what is allowed. The structure may not be legal.

As for a screen, as long as it meets any required council regulations you can put whatever you like. If on friendly terms with the neighbour maybe discuss options with them. A simple plastic frosting on the glass might accomplish privacy, while allowing light in. Likely cheaper as well.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Council to council tends to differ, but I would guess all have a minimum set back that requires approval to overcome. The 'standard' I know of for side boundaries is at least 1.5m. It's most commonly relaxed, if at all, for a non-habitable room such as a carport.

Rod's suggestion above is sound. Bear in mind also (without checking the NSW legislation) that the wall does not constitute a dividing fence.

Tripe

22 May 2017
Can’t see why not, it’s your land,

A privacy screen won’t come under the boundary act.

Just make sure you don’t block all sunlight to the window.