SA Property damage GST?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

throwaway2019

6 February 2019
Hi Everyone

I have caused damage to a property and have received a "tax invoice" for said damages. It contains some outrageous costings

This tax invoice contains several itemised damages including labour, goods supplied and lost revenue from said damages.

At the end of this invoice, there is also a claim of GST, do property damages constitute taxable supply?

Can they also claim for the time taken to deal with said damages?

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
GST? Absolutely - as long as it's passing on the GST cost incurred in a third party builder, or materials, it's okay. If they're charging GST on top of anything else it's probably incorrect.

As for claiming for time taken, unless they have some serious, solid grounds for a definitive loss caused by the inability to use the property then I don't like their chances.

throwaway2019

6 February 2019
Thanks for the reply Rob

The GST is applied to everything on the invoice it is not specific including loss of income. To make things even stranger this invoice has been submitted to a third party (an event organiser) and then they have forwarded it to me (responsible for damages) and in doing so have applied their own GST on a separate invoice.

The invoice lists time taken to administrate or deal with the incident, this is on top of hours claimed (also absurd) for repairs.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is seeing a lawyer likely to be cheaper than paying the GST in dispute?