VIC Property Consent Orders

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Danstar

11 April 2016
So on the final steps of my court application in regards to financial matters with my ex wife.

Long story short, she has only turned up to one court date and on the final hearing, the judge came up with a sum that I need to pay my ex. I thought it was way overboard, so he advised that I can try make a private arrangement with her and he would consider it.

So I finally got in contact with my ex (well I did through her family) and she agreed to a private arrangement. I have typed up these consent orders (which I'm pretty sure are accurate enough without legal advice)

just wanted to know, other then both our signatures do I need to get these signed in front of a JoP ?

sammy01

27 September 2015
for financial consent orders to be legally binding BOTH parties need to have the autograph of a solicitor to show they both got independent legal advise... The solicitors always get $$$ from divorce.

That said, maybe if you get her signature you can take it back to the magistrate and he can approve them. But why would she sign if it means she gets less $$

Danstar

11 April 2016
for financial consent orders to be legally binding BOTH parties need to have the autograph of a solicitor to show they both got independent legal advise... The solicitors always get $$$ from divorce.

That said, maybe if you get her signature you can take it back to the magistrate and he can approve them. But why would she sign if it means she gets less $$
Honestly, Cos she hasn't attended court and isn't aware that she could get more. And at the same time, her family is telling her to take nothing as I have the kids 100% and they know this will financially strain me for a longtime.

This case is currently
In the federal circuit court ... the judge allowed me to seek a private arrangement with my ex.