promised pay raise not fulfilled

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
30 November 2021
Hi all,

Firstly, it's good to see a forum like this one which can be very useful so cheers to that!

I'm an employee in sales and after telling my manager I was going to resign from my role, my manager made a proposal in writing to keep me. I decided to accept the offer made via email and remained in my role 2 months ago. The offer consists in a career development, a fix and variable pay raise and a reduction of my sales quota. Unfortunately, my manager resigned and I hear now that what he committed to via email wasn't approved by the management. My ex-manager was a company director reporting directly to the managing director of a large company with 3000 employees. Considering he is in the executive team, I assumed that an email from him would be legally binding when I made the decision. I'm trying to get it through my new chain of command but I'm concerned my new management might not want to support me. Let me know what you think is the course of action to have the best outcome.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Be patient.

You have time on your side for the moment, up to 6 years.