NSW Processing Consent Orders for Property Settlement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tripster

25 January 2017
Hi All,

I would appreciate any information please.

Situation: A separated married couple, requiring a legal document to complete a 'property settlement'.

I had a quick look at the 'Application for consent orders', noting there is a 37 page downloadable DIY kit option available.

1 - Is this DIY kit a simple process? I am concerned the DIY kit creates an opportunity for the courts to reject the application, should all areas not be completed accurately. Is there a work around here?

2 - Alternatively, would anyone suggest having a solicitor draw up the document? If so, does anyone know the average cost involved? This is purely for property settlement. There are no children involved.

Thanks again for reading. Appreciate any comments/opinions.

Hayder Shkara

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 January 2017
Sydney, NSW
www.neatlaw.com.au
Hi Tripster. I'm a family law solicitor available to draw up the document. You can give me a call now and I can discuss all costs - Hayder Shkara, Lawyer, Neat Law - Sydney, NSW - LawTap - Find a Lawyer & Book Online Instantly

If you want to do it yourself, I can advise you on the pitfalls of doing so.

In answer to your questions:

1. The DIY kit is designed for people to do it themselves, however, there are some tricky parts to it (especially the drafting of the exact orders) that is often rejected by the courts, causing you to go back and forth with them wasting a lot of time.

2. Yes I can highly recommend myself :) I'd like to know what other people have been charged - but I think it ranges from $3.5k - $10k depending on how complicated the matter and how difficult both parties are.