NSW Private car seller

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nikhil Mohan

15 April 2020
Hi,
My friend sold a car privately on 13/04/2020. The buyer inspected the car, went back home and messaged me about his interest in buying the car. I reduced from $3000 to $2300 and we agreed upon that. But we both agreed on paper we will put only $500. Next day (on 13/04/2020) he came and we signed the rego paper. He took the car. Few minutes later he came back and said there is a problem with transmission and his mechanic told him these models have a common problem with transmission. Then he opened the bonnet and did something on the accelerator cable and car was not coming back to normal acceleration. I said this might be the problem with accelerator cable. Then he went away with the car. Today (15/04/2020) he messaged me and said he do not want that car and have to give all his money back. When I checked he have only a day’s time to decide and can he actually sue me like that?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
He's not suing you. He's just asking for his money back.

You should it.
That's because this thing of agreeing on a price,
but then putting on paper a different amount of money,
is asking for trouble.
Not least because the reason he's asked you to do it
is to evade Stamp Duty on the rego transfer.
That's an offence - for you as well as him.
For you. Not for the friend on whose behalf you're selling the car, you.
Be smart.