QLD Private Car Purchase - Breach of Contract?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sophie Carter

20 November 2017
Hi

I’ve purchased a car and 5 mins later after driving off the engine lights come on, I am up for repairs but this isn’t the main issue. The seller told us he has paid an extra 6 months which was the agreement we made with him and the only reason we ended up purchasing the car.

We find out today he hasn’t done it. So this was on paper are we able to issue a breach of contract & request our money back & return the car?

Help!

Clancy

6 April 2016
Ok, well I have actually seen other questions about this type of scam on this very forum! Some guy was fined for driving an unregistered vehicle after the seller bulshitted this same crap to him.

They probably think it would not be worth the effort for you to pursue them.

But seriously, why would anybody hand over money for a car trusting some stranger to go and pay rego? Contract or no contract?

Sophie Carter

20 November 2017
Ok, well i have actually seen other questions about this type of scam on this very forum! Some guy was fined for driving an unregistered vehicle after the seller bulshitted this same crap to him.

They probably think it would not be worth the effort for you to pursue them.

But seriously, why would anybody hand over money for a car trusting some stranger to go and pay rego? contract or no contract?
He showed me a text that was false to say he made an online Payment. So I didn’t hand over anything without seeing it. Turns out he lied.

Clancy

6 April 2016
He showed me a text that was false to say he made an online Payment. So I didn’t hand over anything without seeing it turns out he lied.

He 'showed' you? So, no copy?

Well, it's a fraud, but proving it might be difficult? But regardless of that, you have nothing to lose reporting this fraud to police.

Sophie Carter

20 November 2017
He 'showed' you? So, no copy?

Well, it's a fraud, but proving it might be difficult? But regardless of that, you have nothing to lose reporting this fraud to police.
Thanks for your feedback, I was with my dad and he also showed him the text. He said he paid the rego on the way to seeing us. A complete load of rubbish now I see.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Just out of curiosity? how was the car advertised for sale in the first place?

Was it on carsales.com or similar? In which case what kind of rego did they state in the add? Is that the rego you got? No? *false advertising*.

If it was just a for sale sign on the car, did they write a price with that for sale sign, or did it just say for sale but no price?

Sophie Carter

20 November 2017
Just out of curiosity? how was the car advertised for sale in the first place?

Was it on carsales.com or similar? In which case what kind of rego did they state in the add? Is that the rego you got? No? *false advertising*.

If it was just a for sale sign on the car, did they write a price with that for sale sign, or did it just say for sale but no price?
So car was advertised on gumtree & he had said in the ad it had new rego just updated last week. We had negotiated a price and the terms like the extras on the car and agreed we would only purchase if it had rego renewal & no extras taken off.

Clancy

6 April 2016
So car was advertised on gumtree & he had said in the ad it had new rego just updated last week. We had negotiated a price and the terms like the extras on the car and agreed we would only purchase if it had rego renewal & no extras taken off.

Ok good, he stated in the ad that the car has new Rego, you got him! (unless you don't have any record of the ad?)