NSW Private car park car accident

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

_Anon

26 August 2019
Hey all,

Wondering if you could help, while working on my unregistered and uninsured car in a private car park of a block of units, the windscreen repair company called and said they’re on their way that day. I said great come on over!

5 hours later I got sick of waiting and texted him back saying I have to go out to get a part for the car. I took out the master brake cylinder and went to get a new one.

He called and texted that he’s 5mins away, I said I’ve been waiting for too long, I have to go, will be back in 2 hours.

He insisted, so I said ok let’s meet there.

He asked me to move the car forward a meter or so.

After putting the car in D, it hurled forward, and straight into his car, which he parked in front of my car. I pulled the handbrake at the last moment..

We were in a private car park, the worker could’ve done the work without the car being moved at all. Did he enlist me as an assistant to move the car forward? Should the accident be covered by some workplace insurance?

The car insurance company is asking for the full repair bill.. I’m a low income earner..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.