VIC private and confidential

• Thread starter Deleted member 17143
  • Start date
Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
D

Deleted member 17143

If an employee resigns, and enters into negotiations with employer regarding final payment package, and employer marks all correspondence to the employee "private and confidential", what rights does the employee have regarding the correspondence and who they can show it to.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The labelling by itself doesn't mean much. It is the content that is important.

What the labelling does is put you on notice that the employer thinks the material is confidential, but this is no guarantee the material is confidential.

You are allowed to show your legal representative, probably also a financial advisor/accountant.

Who do you want to show?

D

Deleted member 17143

The labelling by itself doesn't mean much. It is the content that is important.

What the labelling does is put you on notice that the employer thinks the material is confidential, but this is no guarantee the material is confidential.

You are allowed to show your legal representative, probably also a financial advisor/accountant.

Who do you want to show?
My friend

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
So it depends on the contents as to whether you can show him or not. Hard to say without reading the whole letter, and it is not something you post online. Many people get advice from friends and family and nothing bad happens to them.

Sorry can't help anymore on this query.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
In what capacity is your friend acting on? as an accountant or legal rep? this is other point that comes up.
I think you can show to anyone you want but not public : posting on line for example or publishing it in a newspaper etc....
They can not force you not to show it to anyone. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me...

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Employees owe a duty of confidentiality to employers that survives the ending of employment, hence the need for care.

I can see how an employer doesn't want other employees to know the contents of a payout letter.

I suspect in practice many people show their friends this kind of information but it doesn't always mean this is right.

D

Deleted member 17143

What if the letter shows bad treatment towards employee, with p&c on it, how can the employee seek help if they cannot afford lawyer? How can they warn others without showing letter to them?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
You don't warn others. None of your business once you leave. Tread carefully using information from an employer to hurt the employer.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
In what capacity is your friend acting on? as an accountant or legal rep? this is other point that comes up.
I think you can show to anyone you want but not public : posting on line for example or publishing it in a newspaper etc....
They can not force you not to show it to anyone. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me...
Consider yourself corrected.