QLD Privacy Rights of Separated Parents?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

krystallee

13 December 2016
I was wondering, what the rights are between separated parents?

If there are no family court orders in place, does the parent with the full custody of children (mother) have more privacy rights as the other parent (father) chooses not to communicate to the child? But when there is communication between the parents, the father abuses the mother even though she says all communication is welcome?

sammy01

27 September 2015
No orders mean no rules (kind of). See, unless the courts say differently, there is shared parental responsibility, which means that parents should work in the best interest of the kids and one person does not have more rights / responsibility than the other.

So look privacy is relative. My ex is crazy. Total nutter. She decided that it was important that she be kept informed of all the going's on while the kids were with me... Gave me a notebook written up as a diary 1 day to a page ruled into two hour time slots. She wanted me to write up what the kids did, ate, drank while with me.

I said nope. She told me she would not drop of the kids unless I agreed. So do you think I got angry? Do you think my communication might have been considered abusive? Too bloody right.

I told her she was an idiot. I also told her that if she wasn't prepared to keep the same extensive notes about when the kids were with her then why should I do the same. So my ex felt she had 'more privacy rights' because she was the primary carer and as such, she didn't need to tell me the same stupid information she expected of me.

So maybe you can give a few more details around the 'privacy' and the 'communication' that you're talking about.

So for argument's sake - you have said one parent is the 'full time carer'. Well if that parent only communicates with the other parent to let them know that they need to pay more child support and that they are only gonna see their kid when it suits mum, then I reckon it pretty reasonable for dear o'l dad to get a bit grumpy about it all...

Rant over