NSW Can We Sue Hospital Under Privacy Act?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Linda904

21 August 2017
My husband went to hospital to have his prostate out as he had prostate cancer. He wanted it kept confidential between him, his doctor & the hospital as we live in a small community. After he was discharged, he received 2 letters in the mail containing confidential discharge information.

My husband's name, address, dob etc were on each page of these letters but they were discharge information of 2 other patients from the same hospital. My husband is now sick with worry because if he has their detailed discharge information, have they got his?

He rang the hospital with his concerns but was ignored. Could we sue the hospital regarding the privacy act?

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
It's difficult to say whether he has a cause of action against the hospital as for all you know, he could have just received the information pertaining to the other patients whereas his information is still safe and hasn't been sent to anyone else other than him.

If you aren't getting anywhere with the hospital and are not satisfied with the response, you could lodge a complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC).